Can you Migrate Your On-Prem Domain Controller to the Cloud?
Of course you can!
Use TrueStack Direct Connect to migrate your on-prem Windows DC and file server to the AWS or Azure Cloud so your end-users can access their files from anywhere and you can manage their computers using Active Directory as usual. Wa-La, goodbye closet server!
How it works:
- First set up a free tier AWS account or an Azure Free Account and launch a Windows server 2012 R2 or 2016 server and rdp into the windows server.
- Then subscribe to a TrueStack Direct Connect free trial from the the AWS or Azure marketplaces.
- Follow the directions here to set it up.
- Create an installer and install it on your on-prem DC. This will connect your on-prem DC to your cloud Windows server.
- Now DC promo your cloud Windows server.
- Migrate your data to the cloud Windows server. You can use robocopy.
- Demote your on prem server.
- Rename your on prem server and completely remove it from the domain.
- Rename your cloud Windows server to the same name your on-prem server had.
- Create and install TrueStack Direct Connect on all of your Windows domain connected computers and restart the computers. This isn’t hard because you can email the installer links to the end-users. Since your cloud Windows server now has the same name as your on-prem server had, your end-users will be able to access their mapped drives and short-cuts securely without issue and they won’t even notice the server is out of the closet.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully migrated your Windows domain controller to the cloud!
How much does it cost?
- TrueStack Direct Connect can be purchased on the AWS or Azure Marketplaces. Sign in on the Marketplace to get a free 30-day trial. After the trial, the cost is about $142 a month for unlimited connections or $56 a month for 10 connected devices and $112 a month for 25 connected devices.
- The additional cost will be the price of the base server that will run TrueStack Direct Connect. For AWS, this is generally run on a Linux EC2 T2 micro instance which cost $8.50 a month. You will also need to pay for the Windows server and storage. A simple Windows 2012 DC with 100GBs of storage cost about $27 a month in AWS.
- Calculate your server cost using the AWS Calculator or Azure Pricing Calculator.
- 501(c)3 nonprofits are eligible for $2000 year in AWS credits or $5000 yearly in Azure credits through Techsoup.
For more detailed step-by-step instructions go to: http://truestack.com/ufaqs/migration/
TrueStack also offers Windows to cloud server migrations. Contact us today for a quote! (619) 634-4235 or Contact Us.