Of course you can!
Use TrueStack Direct Connect to migrate your on-prem Windows DC and file server to the AWS or Azure Cloud so your end-users can access their files from anywhere and you can manage their computers using Active Directory as usual. Wa-La, goodbye closet server!
How it works:
- First set up a free tier AWS account or an Azure Free Account and launch a Windows server 2012 R2 or 2016 server and rdp into the windows server.
- Then subscribe to a TrueStack Direct Connect.
- Create an installer and install it on your on-prem DC. This will connect your on-prem DC to your cloud Windows server.
- Now DC promo your cloud Windows server.
- Migrate your data to the cloud Windows server. You can use robocopy.
- Demote your on prem server.
- Rename your on prem server and completely remove it from the domain.
- Rename your cloud Windows server to the same name your on-prem server had.
- Create and install TrueStack Direct Connect on all of your Windows domain connected computers and restart the computers. This isn’t hard because you can email the installer links to the end-users. Since your cloud Windows server now has the same name as your on-prem server had, your end-users will be able to access their mapped drives and short-cuts securely without issue and they won’t even notice the server is out of the closet.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully migrated your Windows domain controller to the cloud!
For detailed Step-by-Step Instructions about how to migrate your Windows domain controller to the AWS or Azure clouds using TrueStack Direct Connect follow our Tutorials: truestack.com/support.
How much does it cost?
TrueStack Direct Connect 10 connections is FREE.
Visit our pricing page for more details.
TrueStack Direct Connect is a VPN management server made to connect Windows and Mac computers to Windows domain controllers and files servers in the AWS and Azure clouds. For more information visit truestack.com
Not sure if TrueStack Direct Connect is right for you? Contact us with questions, [email protected] or call 1(619) 634-4235, PST Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm.